TMJ disorders can cause significant discomfort and may impact your ability to perform many day-to-day actions, such as chewing, yawning and speaking. Dr. Brett Coleman offers orthodontic TMJ treatments in Syracuse, Utah, to help alleviate discomfort and improve your quality of life. Call Coleman Orthodontics today at 801-614-9090 to learn more and schedule an appointment with our skilled orthodontist.
Your temporomandibular joint, or TMJ, is the joint that connects the lower jawbone to your skull. When this joint becomes stressed, injured or misaligned it can restrict your movement and may cause great discomfort. Common symptoms of TMJ disorders include:
- Pain the in jaw joints or jaw area
- Ear pain or ringing
- Frequent headaches or neck aches
- Clicking, grinding popping sounds when your jaw moves
- Swelling or muscle spasms in the jaw area
- Changes to the alignment of your top and bottom teeth
- A locked jaw or inability to open the mouth widely
During your initial consultation our orthodontist will work with you to determine the cause of your TMJ disorder and create a treatment plan. The type of treatment that you receive will depend on the cause and severity of the disorder. Common treatments which our orthodontist may recommend include night guards, braces and jaw and relaxation exercises. Dr. Coleman will review your options with you to ensure that your treatment meets your unique needs.
If you do not have symptoms of a TMJ disorder, our orthodontist may recommend a few simple ways to help prevent this problem from occurring, such as:
- Relaxing your face
- Not grinding your teeth
- Avoiding constant gum chewing
- Avoiding cradling your phone between your head and shoulder (either hold it to your ear or use a headset)
- Chewing food evenly on both sides of your mouth
- Not resting your chin on your hand when sitting
- Maintaining good posture
For more information about orthodontic TMJ treatment and to schedule a consultation, please contact our team today.